In 2008 WIFT NZ launched its specialist mentoring
programme. Now established as an annual national programme,
WIFT NZ has matched up to 16 full members annually with experienced
practitioners for twelve hours of paid mentoring over an eight
month period. The scheme is designed to increase women's
skills, knowledge, networks and confidence as they build their
KEY PROGRAMME INFORMATION
- up to twelve hours of mentoring per match, to be delivered over
the period May-December;
- applicants must be full WIFT NZ members (women with 2+ years in
the industry). Membership is $115 incl GST per year and can
be arranged through the WIFT NZ office or online;
- matches will be decided by a panel and no correspondence will
be entered into;
- proposed matches will be introduced later in 2013 and then, if
the parties are happy to proceed, a contract will be drawn up for
the mentoring period.
Mentees will need to:
- commit to working with their mentor as agreed, honouring all
agreements and deadlines;
- agree to privacy and confidentiality requirements;
- respect the professional nature of the relationship;
- be open to accepting constructive criticism as well as positive
- bear the majority of any communication costs, most likely to be
- be prepared to review their experience and outcomes with the
WIFT NZ office.
Our past mentors' register includes the cream of the industry
across disciplines such as direction, production, post production,,
acting, writing, sound, editing, independent film-making,
documentary film-making, etc.
If you would like to be mentored, send us your application
and your wish list of up to 3 mentors, and we will endeavour to do
our best to match you. If you are undecided whom you would
like to be mentored by, give us a call as we may be able to
Applications should include:
- a letter of application introducing yourself and clearly
articulating why you want to be part of the programme, specific
areas of focus for the mentorship period; and desired
- identification of up to three mentors, in order of priority,
stating why you have chosen them or a request to WIFT NZ to help
with the choice;
- a copy of your CV.
Applications for 2012 are now closed
Applications for 2013 will open later in 2013. Dates tbc.
The WIFT NZ Mentoring programme is delivered with the generous
support of the NZ Film Commission and Te Puni Kokiri.